HTML versus plain text

Morten Lied Johansen mortenlj at student.matnat.uio.no
Tue Apr 9 17:57:06 CEST 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Olivier wrote:

> I almost sent a message without changing it to "plain text" last time. I hope I didn't send the
> previous ones as MIME. I had got into the habit of systematically checking but recently I didn't
> have time to reply (the interesting discussion on sequels for instance ), so I may have forgotten:
> my apologies if  I did.

The easiest thing is to always send plain text, as that is guaranteed to
work in all email clients.

There is little to be gained from sending HTML anyway, and it makes life
so much easier for everyone involved if you just send plain text. If you
have need for things like different fonts and headlines etc. and are
unable to get what you want using plain text, you're writing something
that doesn't belong in email anyway...

Remember that, unlike what M$ (and others) would like you to believe,
it's the *information* that counts... not how it looks (and that's out
of your control anyway, since HTML can be rendered in about as many ways
as there are breadcrumbs in a loaf of bread).

--
Morten
The Generation Of Random Numbers Is Too Important To Be Left To Chance.