DCML digest, Vol 1 #897 - 5 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Apr 17 23:42:28 CEST 2002

Re "Pied Piper of Duckburg":

> I would like to know about the story behind this story: How did this
> project come into being?

This unfinished story was well known to Barks devotees, and the extant Barks
material was always intended to be published in the original CBL. I'm pretty
sure Bruce Hamilton, the Another Rainbow/Gladstone publisher, was the one
who was first struck with the idea of having Don Rosa make something of the
fragment for comic book publication.

> Why didn't Carl Barks finish the story in the 1950s?

See CBL Set VI, volume II, page 375. It was about the time and the money,
basically.

> By the way, is this the only time Carl and Don worked on the same story?

I wonder if we can really call what Carl did and Don did the same story. Not
only are their individual efforts separated by a considerable amount of
time, but Don developed a story of his own out of something that Carl had
abandoned before he'd made it clear where he expected to go.

Of keenest interest to me is the shift of artistic sensibility from page 3
to page 4, from Don-over-Carl to pure Don. It's somewhat suggestive of "What
If Carl Barks Had Hired Don Rosa as His Assistant", where the assistant
starts out on finishes and eventually takes over the full art chores ‹ only
in this case there's no waiting to see what sort of individual style the
assistant would develop.

Gary