DCML digest, Vol 1 #1027 - 4 msgs

Anders Christian Siveb¾k anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Sat Aug 3 17:29:18 CEST 2002

PER:

>I've never meant to really question his place as a duck-artist, I only
>think
>he has gotten too big space. For example, he is the only artist (except of
>Barks) that are mentioned as anything special in the Donald
>Duck-magazines,
>when there really is plenty good artists. I think this may also affect
>young
>readers, when one creator is, kind of subjectively, put as "the best",
>it's
>not fully obvious that it becomes questioned.
You're not exactly correct here - They do put Barks-classic on the cover -
and
Don Rosa 8last time a story was there the Don Rosa was even larger than
the usual "Walt Disney's")
but they also do commerce about Marco Rota-stories, Romano Scarpa and the
like.
They put these authors in the special summer and autumn-enlargement to
show that
this is special stuff - you shoulkd buy the weekly as it prints this stuff
from time to time.
In the summer-enlargements this year Jan Gullbrandson had a very long
story in one of the
3 enlargements.

So, admittedly Don is one of the names they put in the covers - but there
are others too
One can discuss then why Vicar or Branca aren't put on the cover, cause
they're drawings are
very good too IMHO, but I guess they simply appear to often in the weekly
to become considered special?

Gerd:

>Indeed, market research for the German weekly has repeatedly shown that
>Don Rosa's stories are among the most popular ones. And the readership
>consists mainly of boys at the age of 8 to 12 years, I believe.
I see - exactly the time when I was myself caught as a reader of the
weekly - in 1990 (10 years)
Rosas stories started to be printed in the weekly as I was starting to buy
it every week at a nearby shop.

>It is interesting to note, by the way, that Don's more historically
>oriented stories (e.g., the Lo$ series) seem to be be less popular with
>young readers than the "pure" gag or adventure stories.
Interesting you say? Interesting in the bad way i'd call it -
but it's the same case again - we all have different kind of favorites -
my absolute
preferred story by Don is one filled with historic references that i can
then look up and read
more about it - that's what i find great - that i can do that - knowing
that (almost) whatever fact I find
in his stories - I'll be able to find more about it in the encyclopedia,
on the net or somewhere else.

As i write in a probably published forword - that's also what made me go
find many more Barks-stories
than i had read - that I would find a reference to some treasure in a
Rosa-story and then want to find
the story where that treasure first occurred. Which would sometime require
a lot of searching in the
local second-hand-shop or in the Barks books at the library.

Øyvind:

>At high school i could sit in lunch break reading Donald.
>Then somebody would ask: "Are you reading *Donald Duck*?"
>And I would respond: "It's a Don Rosa-story. Have you heard of him?"
>Then the response would either be "Err... I'm not sure",
>or *very* probably "Don Rosa? He's great! Can I read that after you?" :-)
>This is the reason that Egmont puts Don Rosa's name
>on the cover when they print one of his stories,
>because a lot of people will buy the comic only to read that story.
Great example!

I remember talking with a classmate in high school - mentioned
Don Rosa - as i had just been reading a comic by him - Jesper emidiatly
remembered
a funny detail from the chapter 11 of Lo$ about Scrooge he didn't need the
key for the city -
he already owned all the locks.
And then, when you talk with someone you suddenly know is a fellow fan,
then it usually
surprises the person, if not a fanatic, that America has now not had it's
own Duck comics for 5 years...
No Donald Duck comics in USA? You must be kidding me? Wasn't he invented
there? and so on...
One can only say yes, it's sad but true...

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist