Washing machine in Rosa's "Master Landscapist"

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Wed Aug 7 10:43:11 CEST 2002

        I just finished re-reading Don Rosa's DD story "Master
Landscapist, and
noticed the old washing machine on page 5, panels 5-6.  I recalled the
old washing machine in Barks' story "Billions to Sneeze At (C&S 124,
Jan. 1951) that Scrooge tried to repossess from a poor washer-woman who
couldn't pay the last $0.05 on time that she owed on Scrooge's loan
(page 4, panels 2, 3, 6, and 7).  Since Don Rosa often copies little
things from Barks' stories, I thought maybe it's the same washing
machine!  But it's not.  Donald's machine in Rosa's story seems to be an
even older model, with a hand-cranked wringer, than the one in Barks' story.
    Don Rosa sure keeps us busy checking out all these details.
                                    Best wishes,               --Larry
Giver.