Reply to Helen Johnes; Disney comics in India

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Tue Aug 13 07:34:02 CEST 2002

Helen Johnes:
                I just checked the Life of Scrooge, part 6, in US 290
published by
Gladstone in Don Rosa's original English.  On pages 2 and 3, Scrooge
rescues the
young Flintheart Glomgold, and on page 4 Glomgold steals all of
Scrooge's wagon-load of things while Scrooge sleeps.  There isn't any
mention of historical unpleasantries.
       On page 3, panel 5, Scrooge tells Glomgold "I'm from Scotland",
and in panel
6, Glomgold replies "I'm a Boer" (which I think means he has Dutch
ancestry).
Don Rosa uses this just for a "play on words" joke.  Scrooge isn't
familiar with the
word "Boer", but thinks that Glomgold meant that he's boring, and
Scrooge replies
"You're not so bad!  I've met worse".   And that's the only mention of
the Boers in
this story.
       So please tell us what Disney comics are published in India!
Here in America
nothing has been published for about 3 years.  So we are especially
interested
to find the recent Don Rosa stories published in his original English.
                                        Best wishes,   ----Larry Giver.