Colorists deciding things

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sat Aug 17 22:21:15 CEST 2002

Timo said Barks had no inputs regarding color---the colorists and printers
decided on color.
            I don't know how much say the artists had, but often a
reprint has a
different colorist than the original printing, and it's interesting to
compare the
different colors used.  Especially US #6, "Tralla La"; in the original
US #6,
published by Dell in June, 1954, the ducks of Tralla La are all colored
yellow, which seemed reasonable since they lived in Asia near Tibet.
 They're
also yellow in the big "US Life & Times" Barks reprint printed by Celestial
Arts in 1981 & 1987.   But in the recent Gladstone reprints they are left
uncolored and thus appear  the same as Scrooge, Donald, and HDL.
It's curious who made these decisions.
         It's often disappointing when the colorists don't color some
details.
One of Don Rosa's best "inside jokes" was in Cash Flow, page 13, panel 6.
There are 2 pictures, labeled "A Rainbow" and "Another Rainbow";  Rosa only
drew a few concentric semi-circles for these pictures.   These labels
trigger our
memory of Barks' "Lost in the Andes" opening panel, with labels "A Rock"
and "Another Rock" in the museum display case, and another inside joke was
that  "Another Rainbow" was another name of the Gladstone publishing
company that frist published this story.  But the lazy colorist never
colored
these pictures, so they don't even look like rainbows!   So it's clear
that Don
doesn't have control for all the coloring of his artwork.
        I just noticed that the giant Celestial Arts reprint of 11
Barks' Scrooge
stories was printed in Singapore.   We need something similar for Don Rosa's
recent stories---the ones that haven't been published in English yet.
                                        Best wishes,   ---Larry Giver.