DCML is misused by spam-"terrorists"?

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Sat Dec 7 11:55:52 CET 2002

SIGVALD:

 > Sorry for this OT-mail, but lately I have been bombarded with
 > American spam in both my mail-adresses. Since there is a possibillity
 > that these spam-"terrorists" have found my and other mail-addresses
 > via DCML I see it as my duty to warn you about it so that DCML's
 > security, if possible, can be improved. I'll also try to send some of
 > the spams over to our Danish friend Søren Krarup Olesen so that he
 > can findt their IP/IPs in order to have them reported to their
 > mail-hosts.

Hm, as if I didn't get enough spam already! There is no efficient way to
stop spam yourself, since those mails in general are ordinary mails in
every technical way. You might ask your provider to narrow their spam
filter, but...it will never be 100% "secure". Sigvald, there is no
reason to suspect DCML being responsible for the knowledge of your
e-mail address. The mere presence of you on the Internet is enough. For
example, my own e-mail address sko at inducks.org is beginning to
receive spam, but not only that, also e-mail addresses which do not even
*exist* at inducks.org get spam.

Best,
Søren