Don Rosa original artwork

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Dec 23 13:47:20 CET 2002

Janne:

> I just started to wonder that how could this be possible, since Disney
> doesn't let the artists keep the original inkings.

That was *Disney Comics*, as part of the Disney company in the USA. The
other licensees, like Gladstone, Sanoma, Egmont, all return(ed) the original
artwork to the artist.

You can also buy original pages of Jippes and Nadorp, for instance.

Rodney:

> So, [Don] probably sold the art to someone
> in good faith that they'd enjoy it for a long time, and now
> that person
> is trying to turn a profit on it.  Not very nice in my book,
> in fact, I
> recall that sort of thing as being one of the reasons why Don is
> reluctant to draw original art for people.

There's a difference between a *gift*, for instance a fan drawing, and
something that has been *bought*. There's nothing wrong with re-selling
something that you bought with money. Don was objecting to people who are
selling his *gifts*.

(When an artist like Don makes a drawing for me, I always like the drawing
to be as personal as possible, for instance with name and date. After all,
these drawings are for *showing off*, not for selling. 8-)

And for those who are not bored by this message: merry Christmas! 8-)

--Harry.