Nephews' Cap Colour

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Dec 28 19:02:30 CET 2002

For Kai Saarto:

I had thought of that issue, as well; as I had seen the colourists be
inconsistant (differing them from comic to comic).

For that, I went back to the original USA issues, to see if there might have
been an "official" assignment of colours. A complete survey of ALL the Barks
and non-Barks Duck stories from 1942-1967 revealed that the colouring
was "almost" random. The most common 1950s configuration was: Huey-red, Dewey-
Green, and Louie-blue. But, overall, the assignment seemed to bear no
relationship to a rule.  Sometimes the three colours were red, blue and yellow,
and even red, green and yellow.

If I remember correctly, the Dutch printings in the 1950s did not show a
pattern keeping the same nephew with the same colour.  Perhaps Harry,
Roy,Daniel, Arthur, Duco or Henri can inform us on that.  I don't really have
time to look through all my comics now (also,many of them are not with me here).

It will be intersting to hear from members in the various countries whether or
not there were "official colours" in their publications. Perhaps some did, but
only during certain years, with specific Chief Editors???
Kai,...Can you look through all your Finnish Duck stories and tell us if you
see a pattern there? (we'll understand if you don't have time to do so).

Rob Klein

Rob Klein