Newsgroups

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Sun Feb 3 20:03:56 CET 2002

Rob:
>Speaking of Don: Don, as this may be of interest to others in the group, I
>would like you to explain to us how we can navigate towards the "NEWSGROUPS:
>rec. arts. comics. misc." that contained Bob Hughes' message about the Indian
>Disney comic books.

Since Don has said he is chronically is buried under e-mails he probably
doesn't mind if I answer this question even when it was directed to him:

Actually newsgroups are an individual Internet service, just like e-mail, WWW
and IRC (a hidden advertisement: for Disney comics chats Søren has an IRC
server, where he would like everybody to join :-) irc.duckburg.dk, port 6667,
/join #dcml )

And, after general plah-plah, an answer to your question: there are also
WWW-based news interfaces, Google is one:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=rec.arts.comics.misc
and your Internet service provider might also have a news server of its
own. Configuring a news client program to connect your ISP's server is
a bit more complicated than using Google, but if you plan to read
newsgroups regularly a news client is much more comfortable to use).

--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/