disney sequels

HorizonHse@aol.com HorizonHse at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 22:44:08 CET 2002

In a message dated 2/15/02 3:04:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se writes:

hi all,

it's certainly true that disney in the past has had a blatant disregard for
their own history, changing even mickey mouse to fit whatever image they're
trying to project at the momenty - just try to get an uncensored copy of
steamboat willie or and of the early black and white mickey mouse cartoons.

recently, though, there have been a couple glimmers of hope. disney recently
commissioned and released a film about ub iwerks, not only acknowledging his
existence, but his importance to the company. it's been on tv in the us, but
i don't know what release is planned for other places.

speaking of snow white, disney has just released a new dvd edition of snow
white which is truly magnificent. not only is it complete, with fully
restored picture and sound, it includes deleted scenes and explanations of
how some of the special effects were achieved - not all were done with
animation. its also got concept art, posters and more. not an advertisement
for disney, just sometimes they do get it right.

i don't think we need a sequel to snow white any more than cinderella or
peter pan. there was more to pocohantas' life, so a continuation there seems
reasonable, even if the first film dealt with folk lore and myth, not
historical fact.

besides, some sequels are as good or better than the originals: huckelberry
finn; bride of frankenstein; godfather I; toy story II. of course some are
pretty awful, too: star wars episode I; indiana jones II; rocky II and up.

even barks wrote sequels. whether or not you think "the money champ" is
better or not as good as "the second richest duck," it's a great yarn.

regards,

william price