Taliaferro explanation.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Feb 21 15:10:31 CET 2002

Okay, so as not to seem mysterious, I'll explain why I was seeking a
Taliaferro fan...
I recently bought an extra copy of a book off eBay and I wanted to find some
collector who wanted my duplicate. To find someone in the DCML crowd to be
the owner of this item, it would have been simple to say "for sale to the
highest bidder" and solve the problem like that, but I can't do that. I
*never* sell comics or toys for $... this is my hobby and $ must NOT ever
enter into it... so I give away or swap away anything I ever have that's
extra. The only other solution was to ask AT fans to write to me, and the
item would go to the first writer (who wanted it). Maybe that's not so fair
to people (like me) who only see these messages in Digest form, while others
receive them by direct e-mail, but that was the best idea I had.
As I said, I hoped only one person would write, but about 10 or 15 of you
did. So... now I just hope that I don't end up making somebody angry. (But,
hey... I've learned that no matter *what* I do, *somebody* gets angry
because they *want* to get angry, so what the heck... who cares?!)
This is a 1951 hardback book with a dustjacket titled "DONALD DUCK FINDS
HIDDEN GOLD". It has about 80 pages, and on each and every single page there
is a full-color Taliaferro illustration... sometimes it is a small pic and
sometimes it's a full page or even extends to the facing page. This copy is
in excellent near-mint condition and the dust-jacket which also has a
full-color Taliaferro illo (and which is very difficult to find) has only a
few tears. This copy was mine until last week when I bought another off eBay
in virtually the same shape except that the dustjacket had one tear rather
than two. I'm not *that* much of a condition freak, but such books always go
unbought on eBay and I got another near-mint edition for only $10, and
rescued it from being tossed into some flea market bargain-box somewhere.
With a dustjacket in *any* sort of condition, it's very rare!
As far as I know, this is the *only* work AT did on Donald Duck outside of
the newspaper comics, right? That's what makes it quite special!
Well, I guess I found a home for it. Thanks!