Norwegian Language

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 25 16:12:36 CET 2002

I apologise to any Norwegians who were offended by my attempt to make an
analogy to the use of American simple speech and national slang.  I did not
intend to imply that the regional dialects in Norway were "simple or uneducated
speech".  I only implied that IF "worldly" and "educated" folk in Oslo WERE TO
be prejudiced in considering language spoken by isolated, rural folk in remote
areas "simple", that that would be analogous to the situation in USA before
1950 (or so).  I knew that there are no uneducated folk to have simple speech
in the regional dialects; and I also knew that there is no national Norwegion
slang.  That is also why I didn't mention Norway when I used the analogy of "a
lazy or more free Hochdeutsch. I was only trying to make the US situation
understandable.  I guess I should have used Verwegistan (Farwaystan) for my
analogy.

I would NEVER say anything deliberately to hurt or put someone down.
Hej, hej, og hilsen,

Rob Klein