Level of language in Disney Comics

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Mon Feb 25 17:46:06 CET 2002

François:
>in most French Disney comics, language has always been a perfectly correct
>one.
>That does not mean however that the language is spoken like if it would come
>from "the mouth of a college professor in linguistics and grammar". It is
>correct but it also is a very simple language, which is one of the hardest
>thing for an author to do.

This is mostly the case in Finland too, most of the characters use
proper language. Even those, like Goofy, who use some words of
spoken Finnish use more correct language than is generally
spoken (correct and pure finite forms for example).

>Of course there is a spoken language, different from the writing one. But
>that language is seldom used in print.

And it is also like this in Finland.

>Celine did it, but in a Disney comic,
>that would just look very strange. I think I prefer it the way it is.

I, too, would find it strange if poor language was used in Finnish
Disney comics.

Don:
>I'd hate to know what
>such an editor, just as regards my stories much less the thousands of
>others, did with the dialogue for Arpin Lusene in "The Black Knight" or all
>of the backwoods aliens in my "Attack of the Hideous Space Varmints". The
>broken grammar of the characters in the latter was about 50% of the humor
>and character of the story!

I'm not sure and can't check, but I think Arpin Lusene's dialogue
had those errors in Finnish translation too. And at least Space
Varmints used spoken language, and broken grammar in Finnish.
In that story it suited well as a special effect trick, but generally
speaking there are some problems in using broken grammar
more frequently.

Jennifer:
>Here's a Disney Comic Quiz! Everybody in it is in the Donald or Uncle
>Scrooge comics!

The first question is interesting:
Question: "Are you a guy?"
Answer options: "I agree", "I disagree", "Not Sure".

:-)

--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/