Level of language in Disney Comics

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Tue Feb 26 14:01:19 CET 2002

ARI about the language in comics:
>This is mostly the case in Finland too, most of the characters use
>proper language. Even those, like Goofy, who use some words of
>spoken Finnish use more correct language than is generally
>spoken (correct and pure finite forms for example).

This is indeed the case in Finland, and I think it's exactly Disney comics
who can be credited for my tendency to write good language, even in the
net! I just hate when people write like they talk, in comics too. Gives me
a headache.
I know that if Aku Ankka suddenly started to use language like it is
spoken, I would stop reading it. On the other hand I get spooked if Goofy
starts to speak like other characters. So the language that works best, is
the one you are used to.
I remember when I first read Gottfredson's stories in English, I had
tremendous difficulties to find out what the mouse was saying. But when
characters speak with the loose English, it doesn't disturb me, only when
it's Finnish. But then again I really like Finnish.

JENNIFER:
>Here's a Disney Comic Quiz! Everybody in it is in the Donald or Uncle
>Scrooge comics!

This is rather surprising: #1 Gladstone Gander #2 Blackheart Beagle.
Wonder what the two have in common? And why I don't find wallets and
jewels?

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"Miten suhtautuisitte asiaan, jos kotiinne yhtäkkiä ilmaantuisi
Kali-jumalattaren patsas?" -Kalin kynsi, Aku Ankan taskukirja 73