translators vs. editors

Fabio Blanco longtom at oeste.com.ar
Tue Feb 26 05:52:26 CET 2002

> For example, my hillbilly aliens in "Attack of the Hideous Space
> Varmints"... *obviously* the translations will not have them speaking Jed
> Clampett English, and I cannot begin to imagine how a diligent translator
> will manage to handle the translation of such a mess as I've made for
him --

In the mexican dubbing that the tv series seen in all "latinoamerica" (I
hate that word), the hillbilly accent is replaced by some rural mexican
accent, that I think is similar...
I wonder how sounds your hillbilly aliens on the Picsou, where I read your
comics. Is natural, I live in Argentina...

>This would make me start to
> imagine a newspaper editor who disliked the grammar in Walt Kelly's POGO
> strips and before he'd allow them to be published in his paper, he'd have
> someone rewrite all of the Swamp critters' dialogue into perfect English.

The horror! The horror! what born natural editor coul' make that??

> the dialogue aloud to myself. Of the art, the plot, the gags, and the
> dialogue, it was the *dialogue* that was the best part of the strip!

Well that Beuregard dog, he is cute!!!

FABIO

bonvolu postu al longtom at oeste.com.ar