Uncle Scrooge's money

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Tue Jan 15 12:54:07 CET 2002

JOHN:

> But, I'm historically-minded and I know many other DCML'ers are also
> keen on keeping Scrooge stories as set in the mid 1900's. Thus, it seems
> that though Scrooge's bin obviously has money in various currencies from
> various countries, the idea of the Euro is not one that should be
> handled.

If Scrooge can have Don's Eisner award plaque hung on a wall, I see no
reason why he cannot have at least a sample of Euros, new style dollar
bills, Federation credits, bars of gold-pressed latinum, or other forms
of post-1950 currency!!!

Seriously speaking, catching up on US currency history, it
would appear that uncle Scrooge would have found himself in
a similar situation to that of switching to the Euro, even if
he only owned US currency. From 1863 to 1933, one of the forms
of currency circulating in the US were gold certificates (see
http://www.dawnscurrency.com/types/goldcertificate.html), which were
currency that were redeemable in gold coin. When the Gold Reserve Act was
passed in 1933, possession of gold certificates was made illegal. Did
Scrooge choose to keep his gold certificates illegally, like many
collectors did, or did he exchange them for other, legal, forms of
currency (US notes, silver certificates, or Federal Reserve notes)?

An interesting note: possession of gold certificates was re-legalized
in 1964, the year when, according to Don, Scrooge is supposed to have
died. I wonder if there is a connection...

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"How can anyone rewrite history when no one can even read it properly?"
-----