Where Scrooge lives

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Tue Jan 15 18:49:33 CET 2002

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>

> Maybe it's the way one looks at them, but I still think cities are very
> different. I look at them with a geographical view, but I guess other
people
> will notice the difference too.

[cut]

In details towns are different, right. But in details. Once I've been in
Strasburg... Hadn't it been for the people speaking a language that was
Greek to me, I wouldn't have noticed I was abroad.

And anyway in wasn't this I was writing about, I just meant to say that...
most towns look alike. They've got streets, curbs, blocks of houses (more or
less high), courthouses, stations, stores, supermarkets, bridges... and
mostly they look alike. Maybe I'm biased because there's no Artistic city
hereabouts. The Big City here is Milan, and it's sure got nothing
particular.

> Still, the Dutch tradition is that Duckburg (Duckstad) is nearby. Where
they
> have our currency, and our language. Where people live in the present.
They
> don't let any Rosa change that tradition. So I expect to see the euro sign
> in Scrooge's bin in the next Rosa story.

Too bad. Not for the Euro now, of course it'll have the Euro now. Too bad
that you have such tradition, too bad they started it. Because it was caused
by an unasked for adaptation.
And adaptations are *always* bad, by definition. Just as translations. But
translations are unfortunately necessary, adaptations (except in a very few
cases) are not, and they always turn Art into something different from the
original (and 99.99% of the times, worse).

--
Francesco