Disney Rights

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Jan 17 04:19:35 CET 2002

Just for the record, - Joakim Gunnarsson is also a storywriter and artist.

Regarding Disney Co. and Franchise rights: It seems to me the contact I signed
with Oberon (later VNU) and Gutenberghus (later Egmont)indicated CLEARLy that
the Disney Company paid a flat fee to the writer and artist for a story and/or
artwork, which then gave it rights from then on, to change the story and
artwork as it sees fit.  No one forces us to sign those agreements.  We do that
willingly, for the privilege of working on Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge and
Mickey mouse characters; using characters and their well-developed universes,
which we did NOT invent. When we enter into that agreement, we understand that
the editorial offices may do things with our work that we may not wish.  I know
that Don understands this, and he has a perfect right to be peeved when they do
some things that don't make much sense from ANY standpoint.  I feel that way at
times, too.  But, unfortunately we have to live with that.

As far as the location of Duckburg, - I believe (as Don)that it is on the west
coast of USA (as I drew it on many maps as early as 1960.  But, as a young
Barks fan in Canada, USA AND The Netherlands, I believe it is no problem to
have it be in the country of publication.  Even though I am Jewish, I believe
that Donald and his nephews should not have to go to an airport, hop on an
airplane and take a taxi to Amsterdam Harbour to greet Sinterklaas when he
arrives each year. I still can enjoy Dutch printings of Barks' work alongside
those that consider Duckburg in Europe.

Don is certainly correct, however, that his own gospel is gospel for his own
stories, and the editors who change meaning are creating something that is a
corruption (and thus, not a "true" version.

To this end, I am currently working on two book series' with different
partners, using ourr own characters (and retaining all creative rights).

Rob
Klein