Translation example

L. Schulte shlt at sfs.utoledo.edu
Thu Jan 17 17:01:07 CET 2002

In a previous message on language, I mentioned that I used a German
translation of Christmas for Shacktown in my advanced German classes, and
commented that the German seems more literary than Barks' original.  An
example: on the ninth page Donald is asking passers-by for money for the
Shacktown Christmas party.  A cowboy asks him at the same time for a
donation to a party for "cowboys who can't yodel".  In German the cowboy
asks for a donation for the "Small Animal Breeders Society"
(Kleintierzüchterverein), a word that I assume seems fairly ridiculous in
German, but is not on the same level as "cowboys who can't
yodel"  (Cowboys, die nicht jodeln können).