DCML digest #801

Tommi Perkola matope at uta.fi
Tue Jan 15 16:04:56 CET 2002

Don Rosa wrote:
> Ah. Fair enough then. But then the question remains: if you are not trying
> to tell me that you think I should change the way I view it, then why do
> you say I'm arrogant? You're complaining about something that you don't
> want me to change? Then why bring it up? I still am missing your point.

Well, right now it would be ridiculous to take all the comics you've
drawn back, and mold them to the euroducks tradition. Of course these
stories are here to stay, and old jerks like me have to accept that.
Besides, the stories are rather good.

Anyway, what used to annoy me a little was how Aku Ankka readily
excepted this Rosan view of duck history, and threw away the old
traditions. Actually I can imagine why they did it.

Aku Ankka along with other Gutenberghus-ducks showed quite a little
quality since mid-sixties. The real happening in euroducks was in Italy
at this period. However AA was very popular here in Finland, partly
because people remembered the good old Barkses and Murrys, partly
because people were used to read it as kids.

A weekly magazine can't survive for long by reruns and low quality new
material. Even when the quality rose, fans were sceptical if the
magazine would ever be interesting again.

Then came Rosa, kaboom! I remember reading the two first Rosa comics, I
never expected to see anything like that in AA. (By the way, at the same
time Tello quit, which was good, very good.) Duckfans in Finland went
completely nuts, and AA:s prestice began to rise again. Rosa saved AA.

But strange things happened. Rosa began to draw something every duckfan
dreamed to read some day: something that will fill the gaps in history
of family Duck. For our surprise, this history was based solely on
Barks' stories, and was very inconsistent with the history of euroduks.
I remember myself as a kid reading through the AA-magazines and pocket
books drawing a Duck family tree and Scrooge's history.

At this point it was too late. AA depended on Rosa, and before the
breakthrough of internet with these mailing lists and fan sites old
school duckfans couldn't do anything but look how things happened.
Now Rosa competes with Barks of the title of the best duck artist ever,
frequently winning the polls, I think.

For us old duckfans this is something we just have to accept, and
accustom us to the fact, that AA no more supports the older view of Duck
universum. Boohoo ;-)

--
http://www.tampere.fi/ytoteto/viisto_kuvat/jpg/21027.jpg