Scrooge's Home

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:12:46 CET 2002

Kenneth:
>As we all know he lives in the USA as his creator made him, but if the
>Europeans want to think he is from some where else I think that is fine.
>But they must learn to accept that the Scrooge they like is not the same
>one
>that Carl Barks created.

I think Barks' version, which is original, must be appreciated and
respected. That doesn't prevent other creators to do different
"interpretations" and that's OK.
But still, Barks clearly depicts in his comics that Duckburg is in USA.
Based on reference made by Barks, some fans, like Ken Bausert have depicted
the location of Duckburg quite accurately. I think Don Rosa have used these
as a base to draw a map, which is shown in Life & Times of SMcD part X (10).
By following some clues in stories like WDC 49 and Terror of the River FC
108 (among others) it's quite easy to pinpoint Duckburg approximately. (I
think some translations of these stories doesn't mention Niagara or Ohio.)
On the other hand, In Maharajah Donald (March of Comics 4 - 1947) we learn
to know that Donald Duck lives in Burbank. Near the Disney studios I guess.
In quite recent Egmont-produced story  D 2001-085 we see Scrooge leaving off
to Alpistan. He's going there to change his money to euros.
"I've been exchanging currencies! Nearly all EC-countries have this hustle
going on. In addition of changing the money in the Bin I have traveled
around the Europe changing the cash I have there into euros."
H,D&L are coming with Scrooge.
We don't see them going to the plane, they hop in a car and drive to
Alpistan, just like that. This country looks very much like Switzerland.
Short drive away from Duckburg!
This reminded me very old Italian story made in 1938. Actually second long
Donald Duck adventure story ever. Paolino Paperino Inviato Speciale (I PG
19-A). Donald gets a job as a newspapers special correspondent and he is
sent to Selvania to write about conflict between Selvania and Marinzia.
Countries looks like some minor European states, which could be near Italy.
(I wonder if there is also something in this story that was topical at the
moment, it was 1938!). Well, Duckburg wasn't even invented yet. I wonder
where the writer/artist of this story Federico Pedrocchi thought the Ducks
were living...?

Best
Timo
^^''*''^^