DCML digest, Vol 1 #808 - 18 msgs

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Mon Jan 21 09:02:23 CET 2002

From: Kriton Kyrimis <kyrimis at cti.gr>

> The problem is that the contents of that page are not Greek to a Greek,
> and they more or less need to be re-done from scratch by a Greek speaker.

So, report typos to me. I'm sure there are hundreds.

> My favorite was the translation of the "x" in "Carl Barks 10x10" to a
> ksi! In a "correct" translation, the "x" would not even be converted to
> a chi (not a ksi!), as, in most fonts, lower case chi does not resemble
> a multiplication sign as much as a lower case roman x does.

That's a convertion problem, Im sure we can keep that title in "English",
"x" included. In story titles we can (for example in those cases in which
the title is still in English)... Harry, what about headers?

> > But we don't care about accents,
>
> Ah, but Greeks do, and this was one of my problems with the text in the
> web page!

Actually we were told that Greeks *don't* care either, that accents are
old-fashioned, that's why we even started, because there was a short an easy
to use covertion table. I had looked at real convertion tables too at the
begininng, but it was clear that they couldn't be used, being phonetic and
with no 1-to-1 matching.

Dealing with a more complex transitteration table would increase the work by
at least an order of magnitude, we probably wouldn't even have an index in
that case, no time.

--
Sprea