H-stories (RE: Disney comic stories for the young/adult readers o nly)

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jan 21 20:19:50 CET 2002

Simo Malinen:

> If looking at those "high quality Dutch stories" I think some
> of them are
> aimed especially for the more grown up readers. Occasionally there is
> so exaggerated violence that it could be too upsetting for the younger
> readers. What you think about these?:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h82035.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h93066.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/tmp/h78dd04a.jpg

I can't help it: these are some examples of the very good stories, and
mostly good artwork, from the Dutch producktion.
They are not more violent than the Barks stories that inspired them.

> Italian Giuseppe Perego draw many stories still in the 1970's. We know
> his quality. The styles of artists such as Franco Lostaffa,
> Guido Scala or
> Sergio Asteriti aren't fascinating everyone. In the 80's
> cheap studios like
> Bargada and Comicup started to produce lots Italian stories.
> How about the quality there?

Pujol is a very good studio artist. And so is Bernado (most of the times).
To mention just a random two. The "cheapness" of these studios is only due
to their geographical location (Spain is cheaper than Holland).

> Same goes with Dutch stories too. I placed some other scanned
> samples here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/gearlost/011.htm

Only one studio artist there (Prodima). The others are all good to very good
artists!

> In some cases I can't tell these high-quality Dutch panels
> from the S coded
> junk stories drawn by Jaime Diaz Studios in the 80's.

Maybe you're not looking close enough?
Naah, I think it's a matter of taste. And partly a matter of which stories
you saw first. We can discuss that ad infinitum.
(Though I haven't seen that much Diaz stories from the 80s...)

> Besides some of those Dutch artists you listed have not drawn Disney
> stories for years or decades (Reiche, Coenen, de Jonge)

By coicidence: Coenen has started inking again.

> "Spanish Studios" are drawing a quite high number of Dutch
> stories nowadays
> apparently by those very high Dutch quality standards?

Why should all the Dutch stories have the same quality? Lots of Dutch work
is junk. But also lots of stories are very good.

> - Simo (a fan of Danish Disney stories)

You mean *all* Danish stories? Rydahl as well as Vicar, and Milton, and
Tello, and Jippes, and Rosa?
Naah, you must mean a specific subset of Danish stories.

--Harry.
(a fan of good Disney comic stories)