Standards?

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 22 14:18:34 CET 2002

CHRISTOPHER:

>how would you as a Disney comics fan or creator feel if the Walt Disney
>Company, in an attempt to create a more cohesive and "logical" universe
>(or as logical as a universe can be when it's peopled with talking ducks,
>dogs, geese, etc.), came up with guidelines that standardized some (or
>all!) of the very things that have been discussed and required the
>licensees to follow them?

Go berserk, perhaps. One of the great things about Disney comics is that
there is such a variety of them. My comics collection has about 60% (tens
of thousands of pages) of Disney comics and if they all were Barksian or
Italian or Egmontian etc. stories I'd gotten bored of them long time ago.
I can read a Barks story and next open a pocket book and read a different
(Italian) version of the characters and universe and enjoy the aspects
they've thought are important. There are (probably) no other comic book
universes that offer so many different views and that is one of the reason
why I'm still interested of Disney comics (the other being the good
stories). That is also the reason why I keep reading bad stories: because
they give yet another perspective to Disney universe. Luckily Walt Disney
company is definately not interested what European (or Brasilian)
publishers do with its characters. Difference is a treasure, if you ask
me.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"Elokuvataiteen kannalta Van Damme on ollut merkittävimmillään
Replicant-elokuvan loppuhuipennuksessa, jossa hän potki ja
pieksi perusteellisesti itseään." -Mikko Vienonen, IS 13.10.2001