DCML digest, Vol 1 #991 - 19 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Mon Jul 1 18:32:18 CEST 2002

Gerd:

>I mean, you don't harvest pickles, do you? You first harvest
>cucumbers and then pickle them, I would imagine. Even in the rural parts.

In most grocery store produce sections (in the States, anyway) there are
bins that feature the large salad cucumber, while often there are other bins
containing what are usually called pickling cucumbers, which are smaller and
thinner skinned than the salad variety. Both are cucumbers, but the salad
variety would make a poor pickle, while the latter is particularly suited to
pickling.

I don't know this for sure, but it may be that Barks, who had agricultural
experience, found that American growers did refer to pickling cucumbers as
pickles, and that the harvest of these was called the "pickle crop".

Gary