12 Duckburg landmarks

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 2 15:39:26 CEST 2002

DON WROTE:

> Now I am down to one of my own original choices of Gyro's workshop... and
> I'm on the verge of talking myself out of it! It is *not* a landmark! It
> might be a public eyesore, like Shacktown. I don't see Gyro as being
> regarded as a world famous genius by most residents, but more as the local
> crackpot inventor. And if I *do* use his workshop, I think some
> readers will
> be expecting "Donald's house" or "Daisy's house" in the series without
> asking themselves why the homes of everyday average citizens should be
> included in a list of famous landmarks. But... maybe Gyro's shop
> would be a
> nice entry as a "miniature" or "personal" landmark along with all
> the other
> huge ones?

AND I REPLY:

After these countless messages about what constitutes a landmark, I'm still
unclear about YOUR definition.  Is a landmark simply a positive point of
interest, like a tourist attraction or civic structure?  Or can it be any
building, geological feature or locale that serves as a geographic point of
reference?  To me, any roadside shack or stand of trees CAN serve as
landmarks when I'm driving if they stand alone and mark a point on my route
to make a turn.  If Gyro's workshop is on the corner of a busy intersection,
it would definitely "mark the land," eyesore or not.  If, on the other hand,
it sits behind his house, out of general view, it could not properly be
called a landmark no matter how many customers or rock-throwers it draws.

Dan