Grandma's car and Duckburg landmarks

g-hasne g-hasne at online.no
Tue Jul 2 20:04:35 CEST 2002

1) As author of Duckmobiles I need to state that the Detroit Electric car was
the only one we could find pictured of the cars existing at the time that
could have been models for Grandma Duck's car. The model could be any of the
electric cars at the time.

However, Barks wrote to me in response to the Duckmobiles booklet and said
that there was an old lady in his hometown who drove an electric car, and this
gave him the impression that electric cars were for old women, especially as
they are so easy to handle. And this electric car was made before 1910.

So I will not say that the Milburn car is ruled out. I remember that about
1970 I saw a huge book listing all car models made with photographs (Danish, I
think), and from that I infer that it is possible to find somewhere or other a
listing and depiction of all electric cars.

As far as I understood from Barks, his depiction of Grandma Duck's car was
based on his own experience and not other comic book artists'.

What about a car factory in Duckburg called "Duick"? In the Norwegian Andeby
it could be called "Fiord".

2) I wonder whether the Demontooth mountain exists in the vicinity of
Duckburg, as it appeared in Donald's dream? I don't think it shoudl be viewed
as one of the landmarks of Duckburg.

As for Gyro's inventor's shack, it is not a landmark in the "tourist"
understanding of the word. It would have been if Gyro had become world famous
and rich, but as he is not - which I think was one of Barks' important
attitudes to Gyro and his work; that he did NOT become famous because
inventions cannot be valuated properly - the shack is not something that
tourists would flock to. Just as they would flock to the cabin where Abraham
Lincoln was born.

As Duckburg is a center of travel and transport, it would certainly have an
international harbour and international airport.

Further, doesn't it have a zoo within the city limits?

Further, have you mentioned the city playground with the rotating restaurant?
I am away from my computer and just log in via the website and thus I don't
have easy access to what you have already found out.

The Cornelius Coot center has been depicted by Don. I would think that
Duckburg would have a center for its heritage, but it would necessarily be a
part of the museum and / or university. Does Duckburg have a university? As it
is the capital of Calisota and it has more than 100 000 inhabitants it sure
has.

Duckburg must necessarily have a sports stadium too, where the olympic
qualification was held on many occasions.

The TV and radio house would necessarily be something Duckburg would be proud
of in the 50s. Both Scrooge and Donald were there on many occasions.

Geir Hasnes