Notre Duck de Paris

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 3 11:05:05 CEST 2002

Hi!

Luca:

>> Barks' Notre Duck clearly refers to the French "Notre Dame", as Barks
>> himself told during his journey in Europe, in 1994.
>> Moreovere, the name "Notre" (written like this, without the "normal" accent)
>> is an exception, which fits with that cathedral and not with others, more
>> generic ones.

I never nitpick about spelling & grammar (it would be obnoxious, patronizing, insufferable, ...),
but since spelling here is the subject let me add a little note & question:

"notre" (no accent) means "our"
"nôtre" (with a roof-like accent, in case it doesn't show on your screen) means "ours"
"Notre Dame" is "Our Lady", so there is no accent.

Have you seen its spelled otherwise in some places, Luca? Maybe it's an ancient spelling?

Olivier