Demontooth Dream (RE: Duckburg landmarks)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Wed Jul 3 13:09:15 CEST 2002

Timo:

> In Barks' original script it wasn't a dream. Editor forced
> him to change it as being too fantastic.

Not "editor forced him". Barks thought so himself:

<<In an October 3, 1973 letter (to Kim Weston?), Barks says that this "was
quite likely changed to a dream ending by me. I believe I recall looking at
the panel of Uncle Scrooge's money ramp and deciding it looked too
IMPOSSIBLE to be real".>>

Quote taken from Daniël's Guidebook website, at the bottom of this page:
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicswdc148.html

> I recall seeing somewhere at least one original
> panel.

That panel is also shown on the above webpage.

The web page (my own) that I mentioned in a prevous letter is:
http://inducks.org/dd50/xeng1954.html#F1

There I write the following:

<<This story, by Carl Barks, had no dream ending, originally. At the last
moment, Barks decided that the story was too unbelievable to be "real".
Apparently, people in Italy disagreed: in the Italian version, the final 3
panels are drawn by 2 other artists. The story does not end as a dream
anymore! By the way, in the Italian panels we see exactly happening what
Donald was telling in the dream version.>>

--Harry.