Square fruit and vegetables - a reality today

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Wed Jul 10 12:59:08 CEST 2002

> Anyway if it's true that a guy once was denied patent
> on the idea to lift ships from the bottom of the sea
> by using ping-pong balls, I suppose nobody can have
> patent on square eggs either, since Barks came up with
> that idea around 50 years ago?

Barks described the process of raising ships in enough detail for one
to understand the principle. I don't think, however, that he described a
process of making square eggs other than "get a bunch of square chickens
and let nature follow its course"!

I suspect that, apart from the principle of filling a ship with solid
bubbles, so that the water would be displaced and the ship would float, I
don't think that Barks' implementation of stuffing ping pong balls through
a hopper and down a long tube would work. To make the balls come out of
the tube, the ducks would have had to push them by applying pressure
higher than the pressure at the bottom. Even if the balls were not
crushed by the high pressure, this would have been extremely hard work!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"You can't expect perfection, you know... not even from me!"
-----