Movies (was: It happened tomorrow)

Gerd Syllwasschy gsy at megatel.de
Thu Jul 11 11:31:10 CEST 2002

Frank B.:

> Also Barks comes to my mind with
> "The Hound of the Whiskervilles", parts of it being visually inspired by the
> 1959 Hammer film with Peter Cushing (the comic even was drawn in the same
> year).

That's interesting information, Frank. I hadn't thought of a connection
to the Hammer movie. However, it might be advisable to check when this
British film premiered in the U.S.

Here is a (by no means complete) list of Barks comics which refer to
movies:

a) Comics partly based on movies:
FC 9 "Pirate Gold" was based on a script for a never realized Donald
Duck feature.
DD 26 "Trick or Treat" was based on the storyboards for the Donald Duck
cartoon directed by Jack Hannah.
FC 29 "The Mummy's Ring" was probably partly inspired by Karl Freund's
"The Mummy".
FC 223 "Lost in the Andes" was partly inspired by the Disney feature
"Saludos Amigos".
US 6 "Tralla La" was inspired by Frank Capra's "Lost Horizon".
(And of course there are several WDC tenpagers which recycle themes from
the Donald Duck shorts.)

b) Comics which directly refer to movies:
WDC 59 "Days at the Lazy K" mentions the film "Wonderhead, Son of Ticka"
which is a spoof of the Roddy McDowall vehicle "Thunderhead, Son of
Flicka"
FC 199 "Sheriff of Bullet Valley" makes, of course, a lot of allusions
to western movies.
US 26/2 "Krankenstein Gyro" is a quite obvious reference, too.

c) References to movies in the title:
US 51 "How Green Was My Lettuce" -> John Ford's "How Green Was My
Valley".
US 60 "The Phantom of Notre Duck" -> Rupert Julian's "The Phantom of the
Opera" and William Dieterle's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".
WDC 278 "Have Gun, Will Dance" -> TV serial "Have Gun, Will Travel".
HDL 25 "Captains Outrageous" -> Victor Fleming's "Captains Courageous"
(or Kipling's novel).

I'm sure there is a lot more to find if one looks for it ...

Gerd