Castles, movies, & songs

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 19 12:45:57 CEST 2002

CARMEN WROTE:

> --not only Toronto, but in a small town like Versailles,
> Kentucky! We have a
> castle here, too, also built by a millionare but never used. This
> was built
> more recently, though, perhaps in the 1970s?

AND I REPLY:

Yep, saw that one too.  Built, at least partially, in the 1960's.  As far as
I know, the interior was never completed.

CARMEN CONTINUES:

> This got me to thinking about the use of Disney characters in non-Disney
> works. It seems unusual, given how strict the company is about
> their use. I
> remember reading that Gene Kelley in "Anchors Aweigh" was
> originally supposed
> to dance with Mickey Mouse, but Disney wouldn't allow it, so
> Jerry Mouse was
> used instead. (I'm not sure of the truth of this, but that's what
> I heard.)

AND I FINISH UP:

I doubt the veracity of that rumour.  Jerry was already a hot property for
MGM, his cartoons already having won several Oscars.  I don't think MGM's
animation department would have been involved in promoting the competition
when they already had such a popular character to feature.

Dan