Castles, movies, & songs

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 19 18:21:39 CEST 2002

CARMEN WROTE ME OFF-LIST, BUT THE SUBJECT SEEMS SUITABLE FOR THE LIST:

> I think you're probably correct about the Gene Kelly movie. My
> information
> probably came from one of those Internet Movie Database sites
> (I'd have to
> look it up again), but your information sounds far more likely.

AND I REPLY:

As it turns out, you may be right after all.  I checked my copy of Leonard
Maltin's OF MICE AND MOVIES, and he claims that Gene Kelly did approach
Disney with the Mickey Mouse idea, even though MGM was making the film.
Maybe he didn't watch his own studios cartoons.  Though Disney declined, the
studio did say the idea was possible, so Kelly went to Hanna and Barbera and
Jerry became the first cartoon star to interact with a human in a feature
film, beating out Donald Duck in THE THREE CABALLEROS by one year.

Dan