Regarding the Fort Knox discussion

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sat Jul 27 06:26:01 CEST 2002

Yes, it's in the U.S.A. constitution:  "Congress shall have the power to
coin money and regulate the value thereof."   Of course, the congress is
made up of politicians, not professional economists, so they are mostly
not adept in how to use this power, nor particularly interested.  So for
all practical purposes, they've lost this power to the federal reserve
and the treasury department.  Interesting how these things evolve.  I
remember William J. Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech which launched his
first of 3 nominations for president.
     This is very relevant to Don Rosa's Scrooge story "His Majesty
McDuck", my favorite of his stand-alone stories (not a Barks' sequel,
nor part of Scrooge's Life & Times).  Scrooge is still concerned about
getting more money---this time as tax refunds from the federal
government, the Calisota state government, and even the Duckburg city
government.  But Scrooge should have had bigger thoughts---as king of an
independent country, he can coin his own money, and fill his money bin
with coins and currency having pictures of HIMSELF!  The advantages and
disadvantages of doing that would have been really interesting to
explore, and that would really get to the issue of the true nature and
value of money.
           ---Larry Giver.