Rosa books/albums

Mattias Hallin cmhallin at algonet.se
Wed Jul 31 00:28:51 CEST 2002

At 20.37 +0200 02-07-30, Per Martinson wrote:

>Maybe I was a bit too hard, but the point is, I dont think Don Rosa makes
>great comics

Yes, that is the point: you *think*. What is under discussion here
are matters of taste and opinion. You have yours. Perfectly valid and
acceptable, and not in the least blasphemous just because Don happens
to get more praise than criticism on this list.

However, although discussing tastes and opinions can be very
interesting ("I like X because..."; "Why don't you care for Y...?"),
I agree with your self-assessment that you've been a bit too hard
here. Your way of stating your opinions make them seem rather
self-righteous to me, but then again e-mail is a notoriously tricky
medium for stating opinions, so maybe it's I who am too hard in
finding you too hard -- je ne sais pas.

Anyway, I, too, have personal tastes and opinions that, when it comes
to the comics of Don Rosa, are more or less the inverse of yours. I
like his stuff very much because, in my opinion, his stories are so
doggone good as stories, on their own. The Barks references I
appreciate, but they are not the main reason why I like Don's work.
But that's only my opinion, albeit a perfectly valid and acceptable
one.

>[...] I think that his work is most appreciated in donaldist
>circles.

This, on the other hand, is no longer opinion but conjecture. I have
no idea whether or not it's true. However, have you tried the mental
experiemnt of imagining what it would be like to read a Don Rosa
story if you're, say , nine years old and don't know the first thing
about Carl Barks? It might even be that donaldists are *more* likely
to dislike Don's stories because they will actually catch all the
Barks references, where an average reader would just see a Donald
Duck story. Bu that's conjecture on *my* part... ;-)

To summarise what I've been trying to say: in my opinion stating
one's opinions is perfectly fine, as long as one does not make the
(all too common) mistake of mistaking one's own for the truth,
consequentially getting one's knickers in a tremendous twist trying
to convince the rest of the world they're wrong...

All the best,

/Mattias
--

*** Mattias Hallin ** Brussels ** Belgium ** <cmhallin at algonet.se> ***