Dutch [rather OT]

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jun 3 16:43:57 CEST 2002

Kriton:

> > on road signs: 10 kilometers from
> > Amsterdam, you find a sign telling the distance to "London"
>
> *Road* signs? To *London*? From *Amsterdam*?!?!?

Yep. London is only 550 km away from Amsterdam. (Or was it 650?)
Copenhagen is 750 km away, and this is also mentioned on a sign outside
Amsterdam. Very handy, because for me the distance to Copenhagen (Egmont
City) is an interesting fact. 8-)

Klaus:

> > Germans, Deutsch, Allemand, Tedeschi.
>
> latinized word "theodiscus"

Ah, I forgot about that.

> Niemzij, Saksalaiset

Probably the Germans have the highest number of *totally* different names
used by other peoples...

Alle / Barry:

> "In Dutch"
> This phrase basically means "I am in trouble" with Uncle Amos.
> There are many such phrases in the English language and they
> are common to Americans, but always confusing to Second
> language learners.

I think the origin is in the 16th and 17th century, when England was in war
with the Netherlands all the time. Obviously, the English had a lot of
negative associations with the Dutch people.

--Harry.