Non-Disney characters in Disney Comics

cwiljes@bol.de cwiljes at bol.de
Thu Jun 6 18:23:06 CEST 2002

John  Crocker wrote:

> Quick question: here in the U.S., people constantly
> assume that characters such as Harry Potter, Shrek,
> and even Pokemon are Disney because they are considered
> to be child characters/animated.  Does this type of
> confusion occur in Europe and beyond?

At least here in Germany nobody would think that Harry Potter or the
Pokemons have anything to do with Disney. There is some confusion though
where very Disney-like films are concerned, but this should be expected,
since these are often done by former Disney animators (Don Bluth, John
Lasseter). In Europe the name Disney is much more assoziated with comics
than in the U.S. and there the distinction between Disney and non-Disney is
pretty clear. In Germany we had the "Fix & Foxi"-Comics created by Rolf
Kauka, who has sometimes been called "the German Disney" and who also tried
to make his name into a brand for quality comics - with varying success:

http://www.top100comics.de/single_book.php?rank=97

Cord