Dell dates/Duckburg landmarks

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Jun 22 18:48:26 CEST 2002

For Harry & Steven:
U.S.A. Dell comic books' cover dates were almost always identical to the dates
listed in the indicia on inside pages. The few exceptions were (mainly) a
single month listed on the cover with a 2 or 3-month period listed in the
indicia (in which case, the single month was the first month of the indicia
period).  In any case, these books appeared on the shelves of big city stores
and newsstands approximately  1.5 - 2 months earlier than the printed dates.
They appeared later on the shelves of stores in more remote locations (but
always arriving earlier than the printed date). I am not sure how early the
subscription books arrived (but, I believe it was not too different from the
time they arrived at the stores - perhaps slightly earlier?). I am sure that
Gary Leach or David, or Don, or another of our members more knowledgeable on
this subject can tell us how soon the subscription books arrived.

For Don, regarding additional Duckburg landmarks:
You could (if you find any of them interesting) choose 3 from the following
additional landmarks:

Vampire State Building (US Atlantis Story), Limpspire State Building("Titanic
Ants" opening splashpanel, Duckburg Town Square, with view of City Hall and
Clock tower (Christmas Parade 1958)

Duckburg Domed City Hall (WDC 201 & various other stories)
Duckburg Harbor (many stories (best in "Magic Hourglass" opening splashpanel)
Duckburg Railyard at Harbor Terminal (also shown in same splashpanel)

Battlement Hill, with Civil War cannon and Statue of General George O'Duc(or
was it General O'Mallard?) (in Village Blacksmith story), Duckburg Park-statue
of General Crow

Hagtooth Rock, and the entrance to Duckburg Bay, Duckburg Seashow Aquarium
(DWDC Dolphin taming story), Lighthouse on Cape Quack, Demongate Channel (from
WDC story of that name), Old Fort Indomitable (WDC DD Demolition story),
Duckburg Stadium (1960 GG boomp-ball -new game story)

Duckburg Bay(many stories), Mallard Bay and Mudhen Island (WDC Ferry Story
opening splashpanel), Post Office on Beaver Island (in middle of Mudhen Lake)
(WDC 185)

Castle of Mad Duke of Duckburg, Notre Duck Cathedral ("Phantom of Notre Duck")

Plushwood Acres (Oaks?)(Beagle Boys' Estate-must have been sold to Scrooge or
another Billionaire, later), Billionaires Club (WDC264), Ritzmore County Club
(golf course

Fairgrounds Park (many stories) Duckburg Downs Racetrack (DD 45, and late US
Story with mechanical racehorse), Pizarro's Galleon in Duckburg Park (US "Prize
of Pizzaro")

Duckburg Pavilion (Christmas Parade 1959)

Scrooge's country estate ("Trail of the Unicorn")

Duckburg Hot Springs (US Bombastium story)

Duckburg University (unnamed by Barks )(gardens and few Greek-style buildings-
shown as DD & US walk through in "Land beneath the Ground and "Second Richest
Duck")

Needle Hill & Snag Hill (WDC 187), Duckburg Dike (WDC "Hero of the Dike")

Angina Arthritis' House (shack) on Dreary Street (WDC 90)

Entrance to Duckburg Zoo (WDC 32)

Junior Woodchuck Science Center (WDC 221? "Dread Valley Sandy" story)

Duckburg Spaceneedle at Duckburg Fairgrounds (left over from World's Fair-WDC
263)

Duckburg Hall of Modern Sculpture (GG comic 1960? sculpture injection story)
Gare's Department Store (Christmas Parade 1958)

Shacktown (dramatic view of entrance ("Christmas for Shacktown)

Old Pirate Inn (WDC163)

I'm a bit prejudiced, but I'm guessing that you should be able to find 3 from
this list that you would like to draw (I would like to draw ALL of them in new
stories (if I only had the time!!!)).

Incidentally, "Old Fort Duckburg" should not be placed adjacent to the Black
Forest, unless you let people know that there were at least 2 Old Fort
Duckburgs.  That is so because Barks showed in "The Money Well", that the
tunnels from Scrooge's Money Bin to the Duckburg River (totally sourrounded by
developed modern Duckburg) were below the foundation of Old Fort Duckburg.  The
Soldiers used the tunnels for an escape route to the River.

Good luck! - Rob Klein