Duckburg's 12 landmarks

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 26 16:32:25 CEST 2002

Hi everyone!

Yet another interesting discussion I've missed! I have browsed through a coupe of  messages, though.
Here's my own cent (not even enough material to make 2 cents worth, sorry)...

Don Rosa:
>> 1) The Money Bin  2) Cornelius Coot's statue  3) Gyro's workshop
>> 4) JW World HQ  5) the Millionaire's Club  6) Duckburg Museum
>> 7) Fort Duckburg  8) Notre Duck?  9) Shacktown?  10) a margarine factory?
>> 11) Old Demontooth?  12) $crooge's zoo/estate?

>> Or which of those should I replace with..
>> A) 7 Route Interchange  B) Underground Duckburg
>> C) Pizarro's galleon in park  D) a racetrack  E) a sports arena
>> F) ??????

Scrooge's zoo can be considered part of  Duckburg I think-- the San Diego Zoo isn't exactly in
downtown San Diego either.
Shacktown: :\  The *story* is a landmark story, but the place itself  is not quite the kind of
thing you visit-- no more than you want to visit a margarine / skunk oil factory (unless it's the
local specialty?).
7-route interchange: not a landmark either (is Spaghetti Junction a landmark? ;) )
And you said, Underground Duckburg is a secret place, so it can't be a landmark.

I like the galleon idea very much. It was a one-shot idea, and it may later have been moved
elsewhere (not convenient in a park, can sail around the harbor, ...), but it would really make for
a nice picture.

Also (and I'm aware it somewhat contradicts the term "landmark"), couldn't some of  these scenes be
considered like pictures of  landmarks-of-old, like the galleon? You know, an old, brownish picture
taken at the time when the galleon was exposed in the park, just like the pictures in Scrooge's
album. You could draw them in a frame to make it clear (and add a note for the colorist). Sure, some
people ("casual readers") may not understand why, but as you often say, "you can't please everyone".

All the best,

Olivier