Cover for "Gyro's First Invention

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Thu May 9 13:06:56 CEST 2002

	Hey Sigvald!

>When looking at the homepage for Danish Anders And &
>Co I discovered that the cover for AA&Co #19/2002
>seems to be flipped compared to its counterparts in
>Norway, Sweden and Finland.
>
>Do anyone know why this has happened?
>
>And what version is correct?

	Every version but Denmark is correct.
	I believe the switch was made so that a UPC symbol at the bottom
left of the cover, which cannot be moved in Denmark, would block as little
picture information as possible. Better to block off part of Donald's chin
than almost all of Dewey and Louie (which the UPC symbol effectively did in
Norway and Sweden).

>And, by the way, in the facsimile in the back of DD&Co
>#18/2002 it looks like there is two helpers or a
>double helper in Gyro's hand. Do any one know more
>about this?

	Here's an educated guess about what happened:
	When first preparing the DD&Co 19 cover, Norway began to rework it
in Photoshop: in an effort to take Helper out of Gyro's hands, move him just
a little to the left, and put him behind the magazine's logo, peeking up
over the top. I guess someone thought that would look cool.
	Then they realized they preferred the original version after all.
	So they went to work with Photoshop again, and pasted Helper back
into his proper spot. However, a "phantom" second Helper was still left
lingering behind the logo, just a little to the left, for a while, until
they noticed the error and erased him.
	Before doing that, they had already made the facsimile for the back
of DD&Co 18, so the error was preserved for posterity.
	I have *no* idea if this is really what happened, but it's all I can
imagine. The original Don Rosa cover shows only one Helper, in case anyone
wonders.

	David Gerstein