Re # 928 - Rosa in Holland

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald4 at yahoo.no
Wed May 15 14:01:28 CEST 2002

<anders_sivebaek at nns.dk> skrev:

>So Dan, you wont have to call the ombudsman
>(which is a loan word from swedish or danish btw)

No, no, no!!! It definately comes from the NORWEGIAN
word "ombudsmann". It was probably loaned into English
from the Norwegian vikings in Ireland, Scotland, the
Hebrides, Shetland or Man. This is stuff I learned
during my early university studies in the late 1980's.

It means a representative btw., like "Barneombudet" =
"The children's representative".

Best regards from
Sigvald :-)