Greek names

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu May 23 12:15:45 CEST 2002

TIMO:

> but what for example Beagle Boy's old name Symmoria ton
> Lykon is in English? Or they current name Mourgolykoi?

Symmoria ton Lykon = Wolf gang
Mourgolykoi = sheep-dog wolves / bumpkin wolves

The old name is on par with Barks' original name, while the new name does
not make much sense in Greek, either! From what someone once told me,
they once held a poll on whether they should change the Beagles' name
from "Lykoi" (wolves) to "Mourgoi" (meaning sheep-dogs, I guess). The
result was suspiciously close to 50-50, so they compromised by combining
both names into one. If this story is true, and the poll had not been
rigged to justify the new name, then perhaps they wanted to get closer
to Barks' original name, by using the name of a kind of dog. [I don't
think that there is a word for "beagle" in Greek, and the associations
one would make with the second meaning of the word "mourgos" (bumpkin)
might actually have been an improvement on Barks' name.]

In any case, the Greek name of the Beagle Boys will always be "Lykoi" for
me.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Isn't that sort of thing against Newton's Third Law?"
"Yes, but I have to admit that I do violate a few laws now and then."
-----