Dutch, money bin variations over time

robert gibson robgsb at rain.org
Sat May 25 09:14:15 CEST 2002

1. So why are people called  "Dutch" who are from "Holland" / "The Netherlands"? Why are they
not called "Hollanders" or "Netherlanders"

2. My internal mental model of the Barks Universe as it pertains to the ducks:
The Money Bin has evolved and been remodeled/rebuilt countless times in reponse to the many
attempts by the Beagle Boys and others to breach its defenses.

In the story where the Bin is moved about on a giant tractor, he at one point threatens to buy
the whole city of Duckburg and move it to Madagascar. Perhaps the City did move on a few
occasions, which may explain the varying apparent locales in several stories. This could also be
due to floods, hurricanes or other natural disasters. Perhaps Duckburg's parallel universe
planet is experiencing accelerated global warming and the climate is undergoing rapid
fluctuation, accounting for some of the variations we see.

Unca Carl only gave us some of the highlights of the complete saga, within the time, political
and financial constraints he was compelled to operate within. It is up to us to fill in the
blanks, such as they are.