Duckburg's population/Barks Christmas Book

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Sat Nov 9 15:16:12 CET 2002

> No, Glomgold lives in the Limpopoo Valley, South Africa. So
> here it would be more correct to refer to John D. Rockerduck
> instead.

That was my impression, but it seems to be canon now that he's since moved
to Duckburg, probably to be closer to his rival. That's certainly the case
in DuckTales, and the mainstream Duck stories seem to have followed suit.

A consensus seems to be emerging that Duckburg has a quarter-million or more
people, but isn't a huge mega-city like New York or Los Angeles. And that's
my impression, too. Small towns don't have downtown skyscrapers like
Duckburg does, but mega-cities don't have easy access to farms, swamps,
deserts, and other things that we know are near Duckburg.

On the other hand, Duckburg does have a consulate here and there, which even
New York and Los Angeles don't. For this reason, I always figured Calisota
wasn't a U.S. state, but smallish nation in its own right -- kind of like
Hondorica, which also doesn't appear on maps. That wouldn't affect its size,
tho.

Quack, Don