Scarpa in pockets, Gottfredson in the weekly

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Mon Nov 11 10:17:47 CET 2002

	PETRI/ARI:

>>We in Finland also had an old Scarpa-classic in last month's pocket [...]
>>And now this month's double issue had TWO Scarpa stories!
>>
>>Another thing is that last week's Aku Ankka had Gottfredson's MM Outwits
>>the Phantom Blot and this week they published the first part of
>>Gottfredson's Mail Pilot. I don't what's going on but I like it! :-)
>
>Maybe it's a publicity campaign by Egmont and Sanoma Magazines to
>improve Mickey's image.

	We've got vintage Scarpa in our pockets because of combined interest
by my boss, Anna Maria Vind (who does most of the compilation on the
pockets), and our publishers. There will be more of his work in the future,
though not in every issue.
	Meanwhile, I'm the one who wanted "MM Outwits the Phantom Blot" and
"The Mail Pilot" (my personal favorite MM story from childhood) to appear in
our weeklies, though in most countries "Blot" actually appeared a couple of
years ago.
	The Egmont weekly will have more Gottfredson Sunday strips soon and
more long daily adventures in the future, I hope - it will help if readers
like "The Mail Pilot" as much as they liked "Phantom Blot". Pity we can't
run the long adventures as often as I'd like, due to page count restriction
and the fact that they end up looking cramped in our format.

	Improving Mickey's image? If you'll pardon me for sounding kinda
*opinionated*, I think good new stories can do that every bit as well as
good old stories. And I say that as a tremendous fan of good old stories,
you know.

	Best, David