Inserts in US Disney comics

Merlin Haas mvhaas at elpaso.net
Wed Nov 13 14:24:55 CET 2002

Ola Martinsson wrote:

>Has there been any inserts in the Disney comics in other countries as
>well ? I'm thinking of 1980 and earlier because later on it became very
>common. Nowadays every issue of Swedish Kalle Anka has som kind of
>insert. Always a plastic toy together with the comic in a plastic bag.
>Sometimes there could be something else like for instance in the next
>issue there will be a X-mas calender on CD-ROM. And quite often
>advertisements for this and that.
>
>I have never seen any inserts in the about a hundred US disney comics
>that I have from 1980 and earlier or seen it mentioned on a cover scan.
>So I'm curious about your countries, how has it been on the inserts
>front ?

     About the closest thing to an insert in older US Disney comics
would be the poster editions of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
351-360 from Gold Key about 1970. These were printed in two versions,
one with a centerspread pull-out poster on heavy paper (many drawn by
Paul Murry, if I  remember correctly) and a regular edition without
the poster.  I think each edition had a different cover price, but
would have to check to be sure.

best -- Merlin Haas