Uncle Ludwig

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Nov 14 12:41:32 CET 2002

"Donald D. Markstein" wrote:

> For a long time, I thought of Uncle Scrooge as more likely
> a grand-uncle

And that is correct seen from a certain point of view -
since he is indeed HD&L's grand-uncle.

> called "Uncle" simply because it's a more common form of
> address for that relationship.

Yes, that's whay HD&L address him as "uncle".

> A member of Grandma's generation, in other words,

OK, Grandma (born ca. 1855) is around 12 years older than
Scrooge (born 1867) so I guess that they can be said to
belong to the same generation if you consider their
age only.

But both Barks and Rosa shows that Grandma is Scrooge's
sister's mother in-law!

> In fact, I still think that, despite Don Rosa's spelling
> out of the relationship.

He only states facts given by Scrooge's creator Carl Barks.
And remember that in a previous posting our Danish friend
Lars Jensen, has stated that a character's creator is the
first to know that characters relationships with other
characters.

Sigvald :-)