Reaction to Sigvald, Rob, Kriton, Rich and about Ludwig

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Thu Nov 14 21:34:28 CET 2002

Sigvald:
> Could anyone please post a list showing every "relative" who meet
> Ludwig on the train station?

The first panel of that story can be seen at Harry's site:
> {HYPERLINK "http://dd50.inducks.org/xeng1963.html"}http://dd50.inducks.org/xeng1963.html

The 'relatives' are: Donald, Daisy, Gladstone, Gus, Grandma, $crooge,
Gyro, Huey and Louie. (It must be the same story.)

Rob:
> When people emigrate to faraway lands that speak foreign languages,
> they often change their family names to fit the new language of their
> adopted country.

Like I said about dr. Emmett Brown.
What *is* the anglicised form of Klein? Kline?

Kriton:
> incorrectly associating the word "wizened" with the word "wise".

But there must be an etymological connection, mustn't there? The
pronunciation may not be the same (alright: *isn't* the same) but
associating the two is maybe not such a mistake after all. "Wizard" also
has a short vowel. Ask Harry. No, the other one. (uh-huh, saw-ree)

Rich Bellacera:
> However Barks, Van Horn and others have represented Gyro as
> belonging on a branch of the Duck family.

Has Barks? How did he make this clear, I mean: where did he mention
it? (Just because I'm curious.)

What I meant in my previous mail was this: Ludwig is only supposed to
be married to Matilda for three reasons. 1) He's said to be Donald's
uncle. 2) Carl Barks used him once in a one-page-gag. 3) Don Rosa
likes him as a character.
If it wasn't for the second reason, Don Rosa probably would never have
wanted to include Ludwig in his Family Tree and  probably never have
suggested this marriage. I hardly doubt if anyone else would have come
up with the idea, or if  there would then have been put so much weight to
this matter.
Remember that Matilda only was in Barks original tree because Barks
needed Gladstone to be related to both Grandma and $crooge. (Matilda
and her husband Goosetave fostered Gladstone after his real parents,
Daphne and Luke, had died from over-eating at a free-lunch picknick. I
still think that this has happened to Daphne and Goosetave, who are
nowadays, after Rosa's Tree, considered to be Gladstone's parents.)

Michiel Prior.

"In the end, nothing is absolutely true, and maybe not even that."
	Multatuli