DCML digest #1143

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Nov 17 04:58:43 CET 2002

The fact that I ceased work as of last May when I finished "The Dream of a
Lifetime" is not something I wanted to be widely known. A few people on this
list knew -- for example, one person knew many months ago because he had
suggested that I be interviewed about my career by a journalist he knew, and
I had to naturally decline, and I naturally also had to explain to my friend
*why* I was declining, but asked him to keep it to himself -- and since he
is a constant contributor to this list, you can see that he honored my
request. And he was not the only one here who found out and asked me about
it privately, about a half-dozen of you have known this all along, and I
asked each person to please not speak about it publicly. And you haven't
(thanks!). This was a problem that I planned to work out on my own *without*
using publicity as a weapon. And I could of course get the matter into
virtually every newspaper in Europe with very little effort (and onto the
front pages in Finland!)... but that's just not how to handle it.
Anyway, someone who talked to me at a convention I was at last month in
Detroit seems to have written a small piece in the latest COMIC BUYERS GUIDE
about the fact. And that was picked up at least in Italian circles where, by
*sheer* coincidence, as I only learned at the same time as all of you
reading the report here on the DCML, the Italian Disney cartoonists have
also decided to deal with the same problem in their country.
Anyway, I ask all of you who think the thing to do is to write to Egmont or
anyone else on my behalf to please NOT do so. If I can't work this out by
simple ethics and honor and fair play among friendly people, there's no
reason to try any other means. But thanks for the thought.